Saturday 18 February 2012

First Love

Precursory statement: This is not about my first love.
So, yet again, I bunked yet another class for yet another movie. Ek Deewana Tha today. And the world may give it half a star or none, I loved it. I loved it because it’s one of those movie experiences where I’m stuck to the seat even after the credits have started rolling and the movie itself plays in my head for the rest of the day.
The possible scenarios for all typical Hindi romantic movies (not mutually exclusive):
·         A lot of focus on “You never forget your first love”
·         LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
·         Crazy jobless mawaali woos shy delicate princess
·         Love vs. friendship
·         A happy ever-after against ALL ODDS
There was nothing new or fresh about Ek Deewana Tha. Except Prateik. His dancing skills, acting and just him being so cute in love! For people who’ve seen (or will see) the movie, notice the way he hugs her at the Taj Mahal! ^_^
Okay, less than 3 hours since I saw the movie and I cannot recall the name of his character. But his portrayal of that “i-would-die-for-her” kind of lover is etched in my mind. For the moment atleast. Probably because I’m being very sensitive about love this month. Why? I don’t know. Maybe it’s the winter. Winters always make me want to cozy up to somebody and thereafter realize that my ugly pink teddy bear needs a wash. Only during winters, I let myself go “Aww” on mush. Or when I’m eating a half kg tub of ice-cream.
Re-focusing (though there isn't much of a focal point here), while watching this typical romantic movie on a wintry February morning snuggling my hoodie, there were a few couples who came to my mind. I love real-life love stories and so I’ve heard a lot of them. Some were strikingly similar to this one. More than one was a LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. So fact remains, even if I have never experienced it, love at first sight happens. It’s one hundred percent real and possible. Though, in all the love stories - real as well as fiction- that I can think of, the whole love-at-first-sight emotion is stronger for the man. Because apparently the girl of his dreams is so shy, she doesn’t even look into his eyes. Pfft! I couldn’t be that shy even if I tried. So is the phenomenon exclusive to the ‘bashful boy – timid girl’ pair?
The way he looks at her… sigh! THAT, THAT makes me wish that someone falls in love with me. Just one look, and he decides, “She is the one. The girl I will marry. I love her.” Surreal.
In most cases, like in this movie, the man’s first love is his love at first sight.
I want to be somebody’s first love. Someone he is madly in love with. Someone he will chase to the ends of the world. Someone he will never give up on. Someone who, for him, is his “biggest audience”.
Now, some bubble bursts:
  • I don’t think love happens just once. Can’t you love more than one person to the same immeasurable extent?
  • Why is the woo-ing and chasing customarily boys’ domain? I want to pataao guys, cheesy pick-ups et al, without being labeled unpleasant things. I want to do crazy things for the one I love. Hmm.. Okay, this question I think I’m answering for myself. I would want to do all those things only if I’m sure he loves me back. Boys are probably more rejection-resistant that way.
  • For the normal, non-breathtakingly-beautiful variety of human beings with a zillion things to work out, does love really find us?
  • Also, my over-analyzing alter ego, who I try to keep suppressed as much as possible, has a very disturbing theory; that one rarely marries the love of their lives. Most passionate love stories have depressing ends – war, death, or simply (and possibly the worst of its kind), living different lives with different people, away from each other. Apparently, the original EDT has a different ending – one where she ends up marrying a bloke from U.K.; not the happy ending which the audience sees.
  • Now that the alter ego is on the fore, might as well get this out of my system: Maybe it’s never about love. It’s just a trade-off. Weighing of options.  The ‘U.K. + parents’ approval + stability + rich hubby’ package probably tilted the scales as opposed to ‘love’. Bleh.
Signing off,
The Ever Optimistic
Wannabe Wayfarer.
P.S.: I do not know how to add audio, but if possible, listen to the music of Ek Deewana Tha. Particularly, Hosanna in Tamil. A.R. Rahman creates magic!

9 comments:

  1. Interesting post.. A girl's point of view is very different. And I think yours differs even from the general female outlook towards life and love, though I guess everyone (including guys) want love which lasts for a lifetime, though I don't believe in love at first sight.

    Some guys fall into love at first sight but the lady love is not-so-interested and they end up being ridiculed by the society. A guy could be all those things that a girl wants, but clinginess is just not attractive. And the society makes everything simple complicated.

    Personal Note: This post also makes me yearn to see EDT Original more than the EDT showing in cinemas right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surely wanna watch EDT now!
    You are so in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomenesss =D *hi5* soul sister , shit :D :D

    I would love to do crazy things for someone I love , it is so not a guy's domain . I so want to watch the movie now * on it starts looking for shows * :D Being someone's first love is equally awesome btw and really nice post this :)

    Welcome the blogosphere :D :D
    Blessed BE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhijit, i know. :/ stupid society.

    Bijlani, -_-

    Nirali, thankyou for the warm and encouraging welcome :D ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you finally made an appearance :D and with something that wasn't unexpected. Now co-incidentally, my first post trod on a similar territory ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i read. i love "sonnet III" btw.
    "Love, in my heart enshrined, doth tenderly chide
    My passion. Why strive thou, for evanescent lust?
    Love is not an ugly cloak, an aide, to hide
    Thy lechery. Love isn't a candle, but its essence
    Is quixotic; its madness, is like a forest-fire,
    Which flames further, fanned by the wind of distance."

    And then you over-think it in the next post >_< (n)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you are such a lovesick (moron???) dolt :D
    By the way, that was what came naturally to me, the as you like it (the first and the second parts). What about the latest sonnet, this one might find a place in your "loved" list :D http://esotericpromethean.blogspot.in/2012/02/sonnet-xi-tryst-with-midnight.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. -.- not dolt. just a believer.
    yep. loved it :D irepeat, you write brilliantly well.

    ReplyDelete